Will cleaning my engine hurt my engine?
Will washing my engine ruin it? Is it safe to degrease my engine? Will GUNK Engine Degreaser hurt my engine? We get these questions a good bit. We think it's a legitimate fear but not something that you should worry about if you take proper precautions when detailing your engine bay. This video shows you step-by-step how to safely clean your engine. The most common concern is getting water in alternators and ruining electrical components with water. Most people are afraid that getting an engine will hurt it. But that's simply not the case any more.
How to detail my engine bay - Follow these steps when cleaning your engine.
- Make sure your engine is off and cool to the touch so you harm yourself.
- Check your engine for any loose debris and remove it.
- Make note of any potential leaks.
- Cover all sensitive equipment to protect them from water during rinsing (i.e. alternator, ECU, exposed wires).
- Spray on GUNK Engine Cleaner and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Agitate Engine Degreaser with a brush or shop rag in areas with heavy grime deposits.
- Rinse with 'low pressure' water.
- Allow engine to dry.
- Apply GUNK Engine Detailer for that show room shine. Wipe with a clean dry shop rag for a satin finish.
Learn more about our GUNK Engine Cleaning products at https://gunk.com/product-category/engine-cleaners/